PSHE – Personal, Social, Health and Economic wellbeing
At Southfields Primary we have introduced a whole school PSHE scheme called Jigsaw. Jigsaw combines PSHE, emotional literacy, mindfulness, social skills and spiritual development.
Jigsaw is designed as a whole school approach, with all year groups working on the same theme (Puzzle) at the same time. This enables each Puzzle to start with an introductory assembly, generating a whole school focus for adults and children alike. There is a Weekly Celebration that highlights a theme from that week’s lessons across the school, and encourages children to try to reflect that learning in their behaviour and attitudes.
Jigsaw aims to help children know and value who they really are and how they relate to other people in this ever-changing world.
There are Puzzles (half-term units of work) each with Pieces (lessons). Every year group studies the same Puzzle at the same time (sequentially ordered from September to July), allowing for whole school themes and the end of Puzzle product, for example, a display or assembly to be shared and celebrated by the whole school. Each year group is taught one lesson per week and all lessons are delivered in an age- and stage- appropriate way so that they meet children’s needs.
This is Our Jigsaw Charter
We use our Charter in all of our Jigsaw lessons, to ensure that each child has a voice and the right to give their own opinions as well as the chance to listen to others .
The Puzzles and What Children Learn
Being Me In My World covers a wide range of topics, including a sense of belonging, welcoming others and being part of a school community, a wider community, and a global community; it also looks at children’s rights and responsibilities, working and socialising with others, and pupil voice.
Being Me Documents
- Being Me Nursery Autumn 1
- Being Me Reception Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 1 Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 2 Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 3 Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 4 Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 5 Autumn 1
- Being Me Year 6 Autumn 1
Celebrating Difference focuses on similarities and differences and teaches about diversity, such as disability, racism, power, friendships, and conflict; children learn to accept everyone’s right to ‘difference’, and most year groups explore the concept of ‘normal’; bullying – what it is and what it isn’t, including cyber and homophobic bullying – is an important aspect of this Puzzle.
Celebrating Difference Documents
- Celebrating Difference Nursery Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Reception Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 1 Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 2 Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 3 Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 4 Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 5 Autumn 2
- Celebrating Difference Year 6 Autumn 2
Dreams and Goals aims to help children think about their hopes and dreams, their goals for success, what personal strengths are, and how to overcome challenges, via team work skills and tasks. There is also a focus on enterprise and fundraising. Children learn about experiencing and managing feelings of pride, ambition, disappointment, success; and they get to share their aspirations, the dreams and goals of others in different cultures/countries, and their dreams for the world.
Dreams and Goals Documents
- Nursery Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Reception Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 1 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 2 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 3 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 4 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 5 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
- Year 6 Dreams and Goals Spring 1
Healthy Me covers two main areas of health: Emotional health (relaxation, being safe, friendships, mental health skills, body image, relationships with food, managing stress) and Physical health (eating a balanced diet, physical activity, rest and relaxation, keeping clean, drugs and alcohol, being safe, first aid) in order for children to learn that health is a very broad topic.
Healthy Me Documents
- Nursery Healthy Me Spring 2
- Reception Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 1 Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 2 Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 3 Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 4 Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 5 Healthy Me Spring 2
- Year 6 Healthy Me Spring 2
Relationships has a wide focus, looking at diverse topics such as families, friendships, pets and animals, and love and loss. A vital part of this Puzzle is about safeguarding and keeping children safe; this links to cyber safety and social networking, as well
as attraction and assertiveness; children learn how to deal with conflict, their own strengths and self-esteem. They have the chance to explore roles and responsibilities in families, and look at stereotypes. All Jigsaw lessons are delivered in an age- and stage-appropriate way so that they meet children’s needs.
- Nursery Relationship Education Summer 1
- Reception Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 1 Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 2 Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 3 Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 4 Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 5 Relationship Education Summer 1
- Year 6 Relationship Education Summer 1