All the information you need regarding Southfields SEND Information Report can be found on this page. Should you need a paper copy then please contact our school office.

previous arrow
next arrow

Southfields Primary School SEND Information Report

Click here for our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo)

My child has Special Educational Needs.

Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)

“A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  1. a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
  2. b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”

SEND Code of Practice 2014

Definition of disability

‘A physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term effect on the ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’ Equality Act of 2010

What we offer at Southfields

At Southfields we embrace the fact that every child is different and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different – this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs. In terms of what we offer children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities, this is different for every child and it is important to emphasise that, as much as possible, this provision is designed by the relevant Southfields staff members working alongside the child, the child’s family and, where necessary, outside agencies* (e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or an Educational Psychologist).

Regulations Question Response

The kinds of Special Educational

Needs for which provision is made at school.

What kind of SEND do you make provision for at Southfields Primary school?

We are a mainstream school and currently support children who have a range of special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

The Code of Practice 2014 describes four broad areas of SEND

· Communication and Interaction, including speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

· Cognition and Learning, including severe learning difficulties (SLD), profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), Specific Learning difficulties (SpLD), including Dyslexia.

· Social, mental and emotional health, including attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), as well as other issues that are rooted in mental health.

· Sensory and/or physical needs, including a range of physical difficulties (PD) as well as hearing impairment (HI), visual impairment (VI) and multi-sensory impairment (MSI).

Information related to mainstream schools about school policies for the identification and assessment

of pupils with SEND.

How do you know if a pupil has SEND?

How will I know if my child is receiving SEND support?

Our class teachers, SENCo and Senior Leadership Team closely monitor the progress made by all the children. Should there be a concern about a child a ‘Cause for Concern’ form will be completed for the SENCo  giving details of additional support tried, how parents feel about their child’s progress and what further action is requested. Should it be necessary to ask for specialist help the SENCo will discuss concerns and next steps at the next SEND planning meeting with outside agencies.  A request for an assessment from an external specialist service may be necessary. A request for an assessment wilI always need the permission of the parents and therefore a meeting with parents and classteacher will take place. The child will then be put on the SEND register held by the school . An assessment will take place, reports and advice will be given to the school and shared with the parents so that they can support at home also.

A child with SEND will have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) which sets out targets that are currently being worked on and what additional provision is put in place for that child. The content of the IEP is negotiated, as appropriate, with the child and the child’s family. This is why it is so important that parents/carers attend our Parent Evenings and any additional professional meetings called.

Information about the school’s policies for making provision for pupils with SEND whether or not pupils have Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP).Where can I find information about the school’s SEND policy?

Our SEND policy will give you the information you need about how we make provision for all pupils with SEND.

Special Educational Needs or Disabilities Policy

If you would like to discuss SEND provision please contact our SENCo.

How will school evaluate

the effectiveness of its

provision .

How do you make sure that the SEND support is helping children make good progress?

How will I know that my child is making good progress?

Tracking of progress and attainment is undertaken by class teachers, SENCo and the Senior Leadership Team. Information is available for parents about their child’s progress regularly through liaisons with the class teachers and formally at termly meetings.

The school’s arrangements for

assessing and reviewing the progress of pupils with SEND.

How do you check and review the progress made by pupils with SEND?

How will I be involved in those reviews and who else will be there?

Termly meetings will take place for parents of pupils with SEND; the class teacher will lead these reviews meetings. IEP’s will be reviewed in the light of progress and new targets written. This is why it is so important that parents/carers attend our Parent meetings and any additional professional meetings called. Other agencies, our SENCo or other staff in school may also attend these meetings. Parents can contact SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)for advice.

Click here for a link to their website.

The school’s approach to teaching pupils with SEND.

How do your teachers help pupils with

learning difficulties or disabilities to learn?

How can I find out more about what my child is learning at the moment?

Quality First Teaching is at the heart of our provision. Your child’s teacher will put in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may

involve things like: using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child. Your child’s teacher will also put in place specific strategies. These may have been suggested by the SENCo or specialist external

agencies to enable your child to access the learning task.

Your child’s class teacher will give you more information about what the class is learning at the moment and how he/she is helping your child to make good progress.

Every term a class newsletter is sent out by the class teacher outlining the curriculum for the term. Curriculum maps can also be accessed on the school’s website.

How the school adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEND.How have you made the school buildings and site safe and welcoming for pupils with SEND?Southfields Primary School is fully accessible for all children irrespective of need or disability. We have a fully resourced hygiene suite, a lift to access upstairs, ramps to access the playgrounds, a MUGA for all weather sports, trim trails, two halls , an outdoor classroom, a kitchen, computer suite, iPads and laptops.
Additional support for learning that is available to pupils with SEND.

Is there any extra support available to help pupils with SEND with their learning?

How will I know if my child is getting extra support?

We have an intervention team in school providing extra support for children with a wide range of needs including SEND.  In addition, we have a number of outside agencies that work with children with SEND. These include ‘Speech and Language therapists’, a ‘Social Emotional Mental Health and Learning teacher’, a ‘Complex Communication Teacher’, an Educational Psycholgist, School nurse and Clinical Psychologist. The IEP will inform you of any additional support your child is receiving.
How the school enables pupils with SEND to engage in the activities of the school (including physical activities) together with children who do not have SEND.What social, before and after school and other activities are available for pupils with SEND? How can my child and I find out about these activities?

We have an inclusive policy regarding all additional activities. Offsite activities are planned to be accessible for children with SEND.

Where a child may be requiring special provision to make the event accessible a plan would be drawn up in partnership with parents. Some children may have Personal Care Plans which will have access plans detailed there.

Support that is available for improving the emotional, mental and social development of pupils with SEND.How does your school support pupils’ emotional and social development?

For children with specific social, mental or emotional health difficulties we work with outside agencies such as Educational Psychology Service and CAMHS. We currently have a Clinical Psychologist supporting the school one day a week. Referrals to specialists are made by our SENCo.

We use ‘PSHE lessons’ and our school GARK values to promote our positive, inclusive ethos and engage children in supporting each other to overcome barriers encountered in all areas of school life.

In relation to mainstream schools, the name and contact details of the SEND Coordinator.Who should I contact if I want to find out more about how the school supports pupils with SEND?

Southfields Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo)

Information about the expertise and training of staff in relation to children and young people with SEN and how specialist expertise will be secured.How are the adults in school trained to support children with SEND ?There is an ongoing programme of CPD and direct support and advice from specialist external agencies. The CPD programme is linked to the school development plan. There is CPD planned for individuals and groups of staff as well as whole school. The SENCo has the NASENCo qualification as required by the DfE.
Information about how equipment and facilities to support children with SEN will be securedWhat happens if my child needs specialist equipment or other facilities?The school works in partnership  with specialist external agencies to secure appropriate equipment for those that require it.
The arrangements for consulting parents of children with SEN about, and involving such parents in, the education of their child.How will I be involved with planning for and supporting my child’s learning? Who will help me to support him/her at home?

We have termly meetings with class teachers to review children’s learning and plan future support. You may be set specialist work to complete at home with your children to support them in achieving their targets (eg. speech and language).

We have a pastoral team and safe-guarding lead who also give help and advice to all our parents.

The arrangements for consulting young people with SEN about, and involving them in, their education.How is my child involved in his /her own learning and decisions made about his /her education?All children at Southfields are involved in their own learning through regular pupil interviews, school council, involvement in reviews, teacher feedback and dialogue and self-assessment. Teachers give pupils feedback and enter into a dialogue with them about their targets and what they need to improve on.
Any arrangements made by the governing body relating to the treatment of complaints from parents of pupils with SEN concerning the provision made at the school.Who should I contact if I’m not happy with my child’s learning and / or progress?Your first step should be to talk to your child’s class teacher. If your query isn’t resolved by the teacher then request a meeting with the SENCo. Should the issue not be resolved then you can ask for a meeting with the head teacher, Mr J Gale.
 How the governing body involves other bodies, including health and social services bodies, LA support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and in supporting the families of such pupils.

Who else provides services in school for children with SEN or disabilities?

How can my family get support from these services?

At Southfields we work with a wide range of support services:

Communication and Interaction, including speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

Speech and Language



Neurodevelopment Service

Cognition and Learning, including severe learning difficulties (SLD), profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), Specific Learning difficulties (SpLD), including Dyslexia.


Educational Psychology

•Social, mental and emotional health, including attention deficit disorder (ADD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), as well as other issues that are rooted in mental health.

Clinical Psychologist


Educational Psychologist

RELATE counselling

•Sensory and/or physical needs, including a range of physical difficulties (PD) as well as hearing impairment (HI), visual impairment (VI)

and multi-sensory impairment (MSI).

Sensory Support

Occupational Therapy


The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEN, including those for arrangements made in accordance with clause 32.Who should I contact to find out about other support for parents and families of children with SEN or disabilities?

Parents can contact SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)for advice.

Click here for a link to their website.

 The school’s arrangements for supporting pupils with SEN in a transfer between phases of education or in preparation for adulthood and independent living.How will you help my child make successful move into the next class or secondary school or other move or transition.We share information between schools when children are transferred to their next level of education or to a new school.  Any additional support is available for pupils with SEND to help them to make successful transitions, especially at secondary transfer or to another school. We will meet with the children and parents where necessary to ensure a smooth transition. Our Pastoral team support with all transition work.
 Information on where the LA’s local offer is published.Where can I find out about other services that might be available for our family and my child?

The Coventry Local Offer website has information about the services that are available.

Click here to go to and view the Coventry Local Offer.

Southfields school offers many different forms of additional provision. This can include: additional in-class support; additional out-of-class support; one-to-one support; flexible groupings (including small group work); access to specific resources; mentoring; counselling; and access to a wide range of outside agencies. Additional provision is overseen by the school’s SENCo and is designed and implemented by class teachers, classroom teaching assistants and our intervention team. Additional provision depends on the needs of the child.

All children at Southfields benefit from a range of teaching and learning styles; a differentiated curriculum; a range of differentiated learning materials (both for reinforcement and extension); assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements; access to ICT; differentiated classes across the school; and a broad range of extra-curricular activities (including residential visits).

It is worth pointing out that we do not offer targeted extra-curricular activities for children with Special Education Needs, but instead actively try to ensure that all our extra-curricular activities, including our residential visits, are adapted for children’s specific needs. No child at Southfields is excluded from any activity because of their specific need.